Before you begin your application, gather all of the following information:
- The social security numbers and immigration documents of everyone applying for coverage.
- The employer contact information, and income details, for every employed individual you include on your taxes (i.e. dependents and spouse).
- The addresses and birthdays of everyone on your taxes.
- Any and all details about employer coverage if it’s offered.
Steps to Apply for Coverage Online
- If you haven’t already, establish an email account: Email is free via websites like gmail.com and yahoo.com.
- Go to healthcare.gov, click “Get Coverage” and create an account using your name as it appears on your social security card: You’ll need to verify your identity. If you have no credit history or recently gained immigration status, you may need to call the Marketplace to verify your identity.
- Select “Visit the Marketplace for Individuals and Families”, choose your state and 2018 application, then select “Apply or Renew”.
- Complete all required sections of the application and submit. Use your MAGI (modified adjusted gross income) to estimate your income for the upcoming year (not previous years). This should be the same number you report on your taxes.
- Review plans and prices then choose a plan and confirm.
- Pay for plan: You MUST pay your first month’s premium before your coverage begins or it will be CANCELED!
- Learn about your new health insurance and doctors in your network.
Need help? Contact a Marketplace assister for free local help! Click here