KanCare is the name for the State of Kansas’ Medicaid program. KanCare is managed care that combines health care (like doctor visits) with community long-term services and supports (like help in your home). You choose a KanCare health plan that provides your services.
How do I apply?
If you do not currently have coverage for KanCare, you can apply online. If you are currently covered, you can call the KanCare Clearinghouse to update your application or email in your yearly renewal packet.
People qualify if they are Kansas residents and are U.S. citizens or documented non-U.S. citizens. They must meet current income guidelines and be in one of these groups:
· Pregnant women
· Children under age 19
· Low-income parents and caretakers caring for children
· Refugees for the first 8 months of arriving to the US
What’s the difference between the 3 KanCare health plans?
They all cover the same basic Medicaid services, but some of the extra services they provide are different. They also provide service statewide.
How much do healthcare services cost with KanCare?
You may have a client obligation based on your family’s income. If the service you receive is a covered service, you will not have to pay anything for it. If you have a monthly client obligation to pay or must spend down to continue to receive Medicaid.
What do I do if I have a complaint about my plan?
You should call the KanCare health plan’s customer service number, talk to your care manager or file a written complaint also known as a “grievance”. You have the right to voice concerns about your health care. Click here to learn how to file a grievance.
You may file a grievance if:
· You are concerned about the type of care you are getting,
· You are concerned about the quality of the care you are getting, or
· You have other concerns about your health plan or your provider.
You may ask for a fair hearing or an appeal if:
· You do not agree with an action such as a denial or limit on services,
· You feel you had to wait too long to get services, or
· Your KanCare plan is not paying for a service you got.